Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Afternoon Shadows, Queen Street

12 x 12 oil on canvas
The challenge in this image was to capture the glare of the sun during late afternoon as the sun disappears behind buildings.In the downtown core, the contrast between light and dark is accentuated. I have added a phlalo blue to my colour palette, and I used it here in addition to my traditional palette to mix the grays of the darks and the yellows in the lights. It seemed to add to the warmth of a sunny day in spring. 
The palette I normally use is: Alizarin Crimson, Unltramarine blue, cadmium red, cadmium yellow dark, cad yellow light, Transparent Oxide Red, Viridian, and Titanium white.
In this painting, pedestrians jaywalk across Queen Street near Bay Street.

2 comments:

J & B said...

Brilliant, feel like I'm standing there!
John

Catherine Jeffrey said...

Thanks for your comment John!