Friday, September 26, 2014

Queen and Bay

24 x 24 oil on board
I have to admit that I am running out of ideas for titles.Or else, since I've increased my painting time, I don't have time to think of titles. I will be showing some work at a Gallery in Kitchener called the Artisan Zone. It is a beautiful space in a lovely old building and the owners are a very enthusiastic couple with lots of ideas.
I am enjoying painting these darker looser scenes, working on more interesting brush strokes, or mark making as it is also called. With mark making, one can use any tool to make an impression on a canvas. Sometimes I remove paint with a rag, or incorporate a knife. Some artists actually do oil paintings with brayers, all adding interest in a painting.
The Hudson's Bay Store windows are on the left in the painting. It is an amazing store that seems to go on forever. I always enjoy this corner and the scenes it provides. I did a 12 x 12 of this scene, but wanted to try it on a larger scale.

No comments: