Saturday, October 25, 2014

Heading Back to work, Bay Street

12 x 12 oil on panel
I had a feeling this one would be tough with the opposing colours on either side of the street. The road, middle sidewalk, and right sidewalk were all different colours. I was tempted to add some cooler blue temperature to the pillars on the left, but I didn't want to change their colour too much. I let my" artist" side dominate decisions that should have been made by my "design" side. We can't help it. sometimes we "need" to add that light standard even though we know it messes with the design of a painting.
As Mike Svob says in his book, "Let your artist/design side boss your artist/drawing side around. In other words, try to make decisions that work for the picture/painting. 
I think parts of the painting work really well, others may need some adjusting.
A "suit" heads back to work on Bay Street in the financial district of Toronto.
 

No comments: