Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Lights at Old City Hall, Toronto

12 x 36 Oil on canvas
We never know what might inspire us. Looking through Pinterest I saw a photo of New York on a snowy day featuring a beautiful light standard with buildings in the background. Unfortunately, I don't know who the photographer was but I loved the way the photo looked. While taking photos during a very snowy day, I took this image of the light standards at Toronto's Old City Hall. I had a 12 x 36 canvas in the studio, and decided it would be a suitable size for this image. I don't normally paint this size, but a suggestion from artist Mary Karavos inspired me to paint something in a different size. Mary does beautiful collages using imported papers. Check out her work here.
The light in the background on top of the Canada Life Building is a weather beacon, in use since the 1950's.

1 comment:

Barbara Muir said...

I love this Catherine. I have always loved those lights, and I'm glad they've been preserved. I also love the weather beacon. Green means a perfect day -- right?

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara