Sunday, March 15, 2015

Shopping on Yonge, April Rain

16 x 20 oil on canvas

 I've mentioned before that Yonge Street is a challenge to paint because of the colour scheme, but I keep going back. I like this busy melange of signs, people, and traffic. Also, I must like the challenge.
This painting is a repaint of one that I wasn't happy with. Sometimes I wonder if there is any advantage of doing a repaint since it takes almost more work than starting fresh. Just a slight change in colour temperature requires that the whole scene be changed. I've been leaving transparent oxide red out of my palette. It seems to have too much of an effect on colour temperature and almost appears like "mud" if I'm not careful. I make my greys with a mix of alizarin, ultramarine blue, touch of ivory black, titanium white and cad yellow deep.


No comments: